For too long, fossil fuels have been the driving force behind climate change. Our state institutions, colleges, and universities can promote and encourage green industries, and we can save the planet one investment at a time - but we need your help.
We want to add a question to the State Ballot to encourage lawmakers to pass laws that will mandate state pension funds, colleges, and universities in Massachusetts invest in green industries. To add this question, we need 48,000 signatures – can you help us to get them?
Sign up on our website and we will notify you when the petition is available. Divest now!
HOW SIGN 4 DIVESTING MASSACHUSETTS WILL WORK:
1. Sign up to have SFM mail you a petition & a stamped/self-addressed envelope starting April 26th.
2. We need this petition returned to us by May 7th.
3. In total, we need 200 certified signatures (certified registered voters) from each individual state-represented district in Massachusetts.
4. Each of our 160 districts needs 200 signed petitions.
5. We then bring the 200 petitions to each town clerk (of each district) and the clerk certifies them.
6. The clerk then gives them back to SFM and we then present the certified petitions to the Secretary of State who then puts the question of Divesting state pension funds and higher learning endowments from the oil industry on the 2022 midterm ballot.
7. It is an advisory question. So even if our vote on the ballot wins, our state rep can still say, “no”.
Therefore, we will need to continue to put social pressure on each representative before and after we vote.
8. Massachusetts votes Tuesday, November 8th, 2022.
9. The state represented of each district will then feel the pressure of making our question a law as a result of the vote.
10. We continue to do all we can to pressure our representatives until it becomes law.
SIGN UP TODAY!
Please Donate If You Can.